For this exercise, I used five print images and one digital image that I had entered into Guildford Photosoc internal competitions. I had chosen these images as my better ones and hence, they ought to be suitably balanced.
Image 1: Rest and Reflection

Horizontally, the image is relatively symmetrical. The standing boy on the right hand side is a strong element, but this is balanced by the strong verticals of the piles and reflections under the jetty on the left hand side.
I also considered the vertical equilibrium. The sillouettes of the figures on the jetty strongly attract the eye. However, the larger area of the piles and reflections below the platform mean that the image is reasonably balanced above and below the line of the platform.
To my mind, there is a suitable balance in this picture both vertically and horizontally.
The image was one of two submitted into a print competition on the set subject "Reflection". The judge awarded a score of 10 out of 10 for this image, which was fantastic. He specifically mentioned the contrast between the pastel background and the dark sillouettes of the boys on the jetty. He liked the fact that some detail in the boys clothing was retained, but without detail in their faces. He also felt that the boy standing up in the upper right prevented the eye from wandering out of the picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment