Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Surrey Photographic Association Exhibition 2010

I visited the exhibition on two occasions to take it all in. This displays about 200 prints selected from roughly 1000 entries. The photographs covered every sort of subject and style.
I was surprised to see a number which looked more like paintings than photographs. Almost all would appear to have benefitted from refinement using Photoshop or similar. I wonder if we will reach a stage where the real world becomes too drab in comparison to these glowing pictures.
The overall winner was a photograph of a girl in a third world country sitting at a desk in front of a stained school room wall. She is resting on her elbows and appears to be looking at someone or something to the right of the camera. It is a lovely photo, but amongst so many outstanding photographs, it is not clear to me why the judges picked this one as the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment